from my grandfathers garden.
This Rose is from a cutting from my grandfather's garden. He was a miner and loved his garden green and bright out in the air.
By the time I knew him he was not working, accidents had stopped him working below ground and further issues had stopped him working at all.
He loved gardening, growing food had helped the family during the war years, he was in a protected occupation as a miner but he had joined the home guard as well.
He still liked growing vegetables and "cut flowers" in the back garden, but the front was for show and pretty plants.
He had a full wall with a climbing rose and a birdbath he made himself. I have strong, warm and happy memories of the gardens front and back.
It was my job to "help" the sweet pea tendrils find something to hold onto, even if it was just "holding hands" with another tendril. Or to gather the pansy seed because I was closer to the ground.
This was the house my mother, uncle and aunt grew up in. When my grandfather died the house had to be vacated as it was rented from the council all those years.
We could not keep everything, some things that held precious memories had to be let go.
We did take the birdbath, heavy as it is, and cuttings from special plants that we could not take.
This rose was one. It has had good years and tired years and has not been putting on any new shoots, but still flowering.
This year, perhaps it has enjoyed the very hot and subby weather , it put up a new shoot from the bottom, and it has flowers. Sort of tucked in between the main shoot and the fence I had to hold my phone up to get a picture of them.
I am hoping this is going to be a refresh for the rose.


No comments:
Post a Comment